Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Lexicon Left Unsaid

His life was gentle, and the elements

So mixed in him that Nature might stand up

And say to all the world, “This was a man.”

Julius Ceaser, by William Shakespeare

 

This poem is written is memory of someone I knew. He was the gentlest creature I knew. He was my brother and my friend. In a few days, I will go to a new house, where he has never been. I guess in a way this is what I would say to him…and he would say to me with his liquid eyes…

 

Hello there, my old friend,

Good to see you once again,

Of course it’s not really you, just me,

Obstinately holding on once again,

It’s just that despite all being said and done,

There are some words we haven’t exchanged,

And they will now remain…a lexicon left unsaid,

I know not of any other way to express,

A feeling I have tried in vain to supress,

Ever since you left, things have been strange,

I think you’re there, I call out your name,

And moan in frustration at the echoing of my own voice in vain,

I think, you and I, we were like the rain,

Soft and warm, continuing,

I see your face in the clouds now and then,

I just wish we could meet more often,

And you see friend, tomorrow I will be leaving,

Moving on when the dawn breaks,

And as for you, well I just hope you are happy,

And I’ll see you in the Octopus’ Garden someday

No comments:

Post a Comment