Sunday, October 27, 2013

Coffee House er Shei Adda Ta…

I spent the better part of today listening to Manna Dey’s timeless song “Coffee House er Shei Adda Ta…” and somehow it’s prompted me to write a few lines. As yet, I don’t know what I’m exactly going to be writing about, much like my habit of adda.

Being a Bengali, there are a few things that I live. One of them is the fish curry my mother makes, when she feels like it. One of them is listening to Bob Dylan on a rainy day. One of them is drinking litres of coffee. One of them is sitting with a group of friends, and just giving adda. Small wonder then that I love this song and will continue to love it for a while now.

I’ve heard this expressed on occasion that adda is kind of futile. Maybe it is. But at the same time it hold a certain undeniable charm. It helps in more ways than one I assure you. And let it be said, that although we are living in a world ruled by instant messaging, the power of a cup of instant coffee will always be exponentially higher.

But surely, you know that already seeing as you’ve come here and are reading this and somehow feel yourself wanting to pick up a cup of coffee and join your  friends for a chin wag or to put it more simply an adda session?


The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment