Friday, April 17, 2015

Really Short Stories- Volume II

What happens when a bunch of people decide they want to tell really short stories?


This blog post.

Introducing Sangeeta from Bhavans, Debasmita Kumar of Jadavpur, Adrij from Scottish, Suprakash Basu from college, Arghya from college, my senior, Rupal Das from Automobile Engineering and the geek from Computer Science, Mr. Debanjan Bhattacharya and the one and only Udayan Das from Delhi; who have all come together to write a bunch of Terribly Tiny Tales, or as I like to call them- Really Short Stories

PS- there are a few in there by me as well. Just saying

Give them a hand people!

The Bilge Master


Part One

Sangeeta
The torn teddy reminded her of girlhood’s bliss. But today, they told her she was a woman.
What is that anyways?

Adrij
She held his hand firmly. He eased his own. She didn’t even realise. But, he knew. The other girl was waiting just around the corner

Debasmita
He smiled as he counted the coins. Outside, candles burnt beneath a portrait. Inside, the hearth burnt bright after a month.

Debanjan
Years after they broke up, she met him at a mall. She noticed their last picture, still in his wallet.

Suprakash
As the cigarette burns, so does something inside him. As the smoke steals his pain, the rain hides his tears.

Ashesh
I met someone. Wish you could have too. Been a while since I felt this way.
Anyway mom, see you tomorrow.
The hospital monitor beeped a hoarse goodbye

Part Two


Debasmita
“I was just thinking about you”, he said holding his hand out to her.
“Now you’ll live to be a hundred by my side”, she smiled crumpling the cancer reports in her hand

Udayan
“Your country needs you” read the flyers
“As a stepping stone”, he muttered as a bullet crashed into his side.

Ashesh
“I’m okay, don’t worry”
“I know”
“Trust me, the doc said everything is fine.”
“Everything but one. You never did learn to lie.”

Adrij

There was once a tree. Now just a piece of wood.
There was once a mother. Now just another name in his payroll

Suprakash

Fifteen years and a thousand arguments later, her one tear broke him.
Boxed in the coffin, his soul still feels.

Debasmita

“Ma’am we understand your sorrow.”
Clasping the medal she said with a smile, “I hope you never have to, good sir.”

Udayan
“How long will you stay?”
“What do you mean? I’m never leaving!”

Part Three

Adrij

She looked for her child desperately.
She searched her purse again and again.
“Did you lose a nickel, maam?”
“No. The memory of my son.”

Suprakash

He grew up with scars. But his father’s belt and his mother’s abuse; could not scar his child’s skin.
Her skin was flawless. Like his soul.

Debasmita

“Hello, little one!”
A sloppy kiss. A wag of the tail. Poured out all the love the heart could contain.

Part Four

Udayan
Every step was agony. Nothing could make him go on.
Except the child with his own blue eyes , cheering him on.

Ashesh
The two of them always traveled and took selfies. When she died, he went on travelling. The selfies he took had her in them, though her body was buried in the cemetery.


Debanjan

Hours after his birth, his father died. They said he was a curse to the family. But days before his death, he won the Oscar for Lifetime Achievement

Ashesh
“Bring it back!”
“But this one is real darling!”
“I don’t want real! I want the robot dog back!”

Udayan

He saw her. The same eyes, the same smile. Telling him to stay. But he could not. He walked to the light at the end of the tunnel, hating it.

 Ashesh
The silence spoke to him, and told him to embrace the darkness. One day, all alone he listened to the silence.

Adrij

She listened to music all day and played the clarinet all night.
Every Sunday she attended mass.
Imagine what she could have done, if she could hear.

Suprakash

“It’s a major operation”.
Words that paralysed his family.12 hours later, he came back with a new heartbeat. 21 days old
Persistent little bastard.

Debanjan

They lived in a bungalow. Now they own one room in a slum. But, everyday he hurries off hime, because he knows there is someone waiting for him.

Rupal Das

“Here’s your wedding gift. A watch.”
“A watch?”, she sneered.
“Time is the only thing I gave and can give to you.”
She turned and walked away to marry her banker groom.

Suprakash

“Your demons will ruin you. Accept and worship Him”, said the priest.
With a cold smile, the sinner replied, “My demons were not born to keel, but to kill.”

Udayan

He looked at his composition. Too bad not everyone understood his art. Putting a skeleton back together is an art.

Ashesh

Petichor was always soothing for him. Until they gave him a gun and he began staining the ground with blood.
Now petichor is tainted with the salty smell of congealed blood.
He hates when it rains.

Arghya

He kissed her long in the woods. They both knew this was it. The army got behind them. Taking their last breaths, they both knew they had to die one day as they gave birth to a revolution to be carried on.

Udayan

He gazed up towards the heavens. Even that gesture burned his eyes. He remembered the past. He reached out to feel for a pair of wings, no longer there.

 Ashesh
I’m not brilliant. Shakespeare is. Whitman is. I’m just a guy with a passable vocabulary.
This was his Pulitzer prize acceptance speech

Adrij

She banked herself to the corner. He approached her with caution. They snuggled. He reminded himself to be gentle. They made love.

Out came the order, “Gas the Jews”

Debasmita

The wind rustled through the trees. “Mother...?” he called.
Fifteen years. The trees still won’t give her back.

Ashesh

Mary had a little lamb. HAD.
Everyone forgot, the lamb grew up to be a sheep.
The same one Mary ate on Thanksgiving because there was no turkey.

Udayan
Alice visited Wonderland again. She paid the dealer 50 bucks for it.

Suprakash

Standing under a shed in the downpour, the man got out a fag.
“Hey man, got a light?”, he asked the man next to him.
“I wish” replied the blind man.

Rupal Das
She tied her hair, buttoned her collar and walked shaking towards her car in the parking lot.

Ashesh
He chewed gum to hide the smell of booze on his breath. Too bad peppermint doesn’t mix with blood like two pegs of whiskey.


 Debasmita

“I did it for my family”
“I did it for my family”
“I did it for my family”
“I did it for my family”
“I did it for...me”

Ashesh

“Holy Father, I have sinned.”
“So have I my son.”
“But you are above us all!”
“I am just a man. And no man is above God.”

Debanjan
He was standing in the middle of the fire. He did not abandon the house. His father had said, “Wait here. I’ll be back for you.”

Suprakash

He murdered their whole family. It wasn’t revenge. Just medicine for his scars. Guess, some scars run too deep.

Ashesh
“The words. Where do they come from?”, asked the author.
The words replied, “That is not your concern.”
The author demanded an answer.
The words left.
He hasn’t spoken or written a word since.

Ashesh
He wanted a place for his head in the house.
When she chopped it off, she did it just so, ensuring it would fit in the space above the mantelpiece, where the stuffed deer was.


Rupal Das
A right uppercut. A punch to the stomach. Finally a haymaker for total annihilation.
“Remember dad? I learnt from you. When you hit mom every night, I peeped.”

Ashesh
“Logic dictates...”
“To hell with logic! Bloody dictator!”
“But, logic is always...”
“Fuck. Logic. Just LIVE, God Dammit!”

Ashesh
“Like father, like son and like mother like daughter. Does that mean I’m gonna marry a drunk who rapes me regularly, while you sell yourself to the whiskey bottle and are the cause of someone’s pain?”

Udayan
One text message
“Son, when are you coming home?”


No comments:

Post a Comment