Thursday, December 15, 2022

Failing Van Gogh: An Article About AI Art

 

I think the greatest injustice in this world is that Vincent Van Gogh was not able to sell any paintings when he was alive and somehow posthumously his work is regarded as the work of a genius and he is hailed as the greatest painter to have ever lived. If such was indeed the case, why would you be so cruel to the man and allow him to die penniless and depressed?

 It is not just Van Gogh. Look at the story of Galileo. Sentenced to death by the church because he stated that the Earth revolves around the Sun. I wonder then, do humans fear original ideas so much?

 This brings me to the recent and disturbing trend of using apps which make what is being called AI art. But before I proceed further down this rabbit hole, let us digress again and talk a little bit about the words “talent” and “practice”.

 We often hear the words “You’re so talented!” or “He’s an amazing writer!” don’t we? I was having a chat with an artist friend of mine who told me categorically that more than talent it is hard work, practice, blood, sweat and tears that is what is used to get someone to the point of being amazing. I am not saying being talented is a bad thing, I am pointing out the immense dedication and sincerity it takes (not to mention patience and a certain amount of bravery) to make something of those talents. When I started FLTM 12 years ago, I had no idea what to do. But I stuck to it. I read books, I read other writers. I practiced. I tore my hair out in frustration and I wept. But suddenly, 100 people read the stuff I wrote. Suddenly I had been writing for a year. Suddenly, writing became my way of dealing with my issues. Today I have a portal where I have spent 12 years of my life’s time.

 And what the advent of AI art is going to do is, it is going to replace this time and blood and sweat and tears with an algorithm and a microchip.

 Do you now understand the anger of so many artists and creators out there? What AI art means is that a person’s entire livelihood is at stake. Michelangelo started out with grinding colours together at an art school and he spent years there honing his craft before becoming one of the most renowned sculptors in the world. Leonardo Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa still mystifies art critics and connoisseurs even today. Their work is studied by artists past and present so that they can themselves create. Imagine if this was just tossed into a bonfire and that bonfire was lit.

 What is next? Robots in the Olympic Games? Andy Murray vs The Terminator?

 In an age where everything we want is available at the push of a button thanks to the Internet, it is a very essential tool for learning and honing one’s craft. I know I use the Internet a lot. But the flip side is that if everything is indeed available at the push of a button, what happens to human curiosity? If fifty years in the future, a bot is going to serve you breakfast in bed, will you be curious to know where that breakfast came from? Children these days cannot imagine a world of telegrams and letters. Talk to them about telegrams and they will point at their phones and talk about the app’s latest update. While I do understand that technology is always adapting and changing and growing, it is doing so because humans are curious, because humans want to challenge themselves, because they want to do better.

 It would be terrible if this curiosity was no longer there and if indeed the world as we know it would be run by algorithms and AI as opposed to creators and innovators. I can only hope that what today is AI art does not become tomorrow what is governing the planet.

 If it does, we have failed Van Gogh again.


The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment