Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pens and Swords

White. Empty and untouched. That's what this page looks like,
Till my keystrokes register and a stain begins to spread,
Minute characters appear where just seconds before there was nothing,
Permutations and combinations occur, mathematics of words
A skeleton is dug up, it is given flesh
It's blood vessels are pumped up again,
It is told to jump into a pair of baggy jeans, don a jacket,
And it will do what I want it to,
I can send it to China, I can send it to Rome,
I can captivate you Reader in my yet to be published tome,
I find this funny, for all this manipulation
​Takes place in the comfort of my home,
I am not a writer, I am merely a boy,
With a passable vocabulary, doing something that brings him joy
And so I ask of anyone who might stop by to read this,
Tell me how it is that Writers manage to make us cry?
I guess that is why my mother once said to me,
"Son, the Pen is mightier than the Sword"

The Bilge Master

2 comments:

  1. "Minute characters appear where just seconds before there was nothing,
    Permutations and combinations occur, mathematics of words
    A skeleton is dug up, it is given flesh
    It's blood vessels are pumped up again,"
    Another lovely poem - you could set it to music and sing it out loud

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes there is so much resonance with what I wrote from the very different stage of life I find myself. Our slates are periodically wiped and we are reborn, sometimes from scratch, at others new patterns from leftover ink.

    ReplyDelete