Friday, January 1, 2016

Hello 2016! Let's Dance

A famous singer, nicknamed Ol’ Blue Eyes one sang a song, in which he observed thus

“Life is like the seasons,
After winter comes the spring,
So I’ll keep this smile awhile,
And see what tomorrow brings

The song is a sad one, yet it gives you hope. There’s always tomorrow. The sun will rise. The moon will rise. Unfortunately, we don’t see both of them at the same time. It’s funny because, we can’t see happiness when we are in the grip of despair and we can’t see sadness if we are in a delirium of happiness. That’s what happened to me in 2015. I got lost in an ocean of sadness and clawed my way back to sanity after almost four months of medication, therapy and endless support from my father, mother and my friends.

Yesterday, I went to see my psychiatrist. He’s a real cracker of a man called Ram. He oozes happiness. It leaks out of him like water does out of a sieve. He told me he saw a significant improvement in my condition from the last time I was here. He also said that he felt I would be able to beat this thing soon. He told me I wasn’t able to see it, because I was still under its influence but something in my eyes or in my face gave him this impression.

What better way to start the first day of a new year than with this news?

2015 was a very bad year. The keyword being was. I do not know what will happen this year. I do not know what the next semester has in store for me. I have no clue whatsoever about how Durga Puja will be celebrated. I do not know if I’ll get superpowers this year.

What I do know however, is that I’m gonna beat this disease this year.

I’d like to take this opportunity to let as many people as I can know that depression related disorders of the mind are a very real thing and they drain the happiness out of you, just like a Dementor. However, the part of you that wants to hang on is always stronger than the part that gives in. So, to everyone who has this sort of disease, hang on and fight back. It can be done. I’ve done it. My friend is doing it. You can do it too.

Here’s wishing all my readers, old and new a very joyous, sadness free new year. Hello 2016, let’s dance!


The Bilge Master 

No comments:

Post a Comment