Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

Mirror mirror on the wall,
They say you don’t lie at all
They say you show that which we do not want to see
And that you cannot be lied to either
I believe many of us have stood before you
Demanding to know if they were fair
Or was there someone fairer than them
Whom they would need to usurp?
I believe madmen have come to you
Seeking the touchstone maybe
And they have found something else
Hidden in the truth you have told them
The last time I stood before you,
I saw Hellfire in my eyes
I saw something else staring at me
And I thought
“This is a lie”
Then, I looked closer
He had my eyes
My hair
My height
But he was not me
So, I went away and
I came back
And this time, like your cousin Erised
You showed me an image
Its eyes twinkled
And it had laughter lines around them
It winked at me and told me a joke
And I realised, this was who I am
Did you mislead me o mirror?
Or show me what I needed to see?
Did you bend the rules just a little
So a frightened person could see hope?
These queries have no answer
But this one does
Mirror mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?



The Bilge Master




No comments:

Post a Comment