Saturday, April 27, 2019

Cigarette Memories


Hello my love
I'm in a bar
And the stale cigarette smoke
Reminds me of those Turkish cigarettes
We used to smoke
The first time we held hands
With the smoke in our lungs
It reminds me of the first time we made love
Magic was in the air that night
But that magic is not here
Where I am now
I ship out tomorrow
To fight a white man's war
I might not make it back
If I don't, take care of mother
Though I cannot remember the last time we spoke
Another lungful of smoke and I want you even more
My love, if I go
Keep me in your memory
Don't shed too many tears
And if I make it back
From this meaningless bloodshed
Let us do all that we planned to do
When we were dating in college
Let's go on those trips
And take photos of us
Teach me how to bake
You do it so well
The bar is closed now
The hour almost at hand
I am outside in the chilly winter
And my love
There is no more cigarette smoke

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment