Sunday, October 27, 2019

Banes

When I was nine years old, an impressionable age; I was gifted The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring by my father. I devoured it. I loved everything about it. Bilbo's walking song, Frodo's coming of age, Gollum, the trek to Rivendell and of course the forming of the Fellowship.

But the one scene that got branded in my mind was Gandalf's fight with the Balrog (Durin's Bane) in the mines of Moria. It was the first time that the reader is shown Gandalf's true power (before he ascends to Gandalf the White). To avoid spoilers I'll just say he survived the fight.

Forgive me for rambling on like this but I firmly believe that there is a lesson to be learnt here. Like Durin, we all have our banes-anxiety, anger, insecurity-some are strong and hard to fight; but we should not give up. That means the bastard's won.

Problems are milestones that tell us we are doing the job of living correctly. They say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We should aspire to be strong. We should look forward to challenges and to being challenged. It's the only way to ascend from gray to white.

The most important thing we must do is forget the past and distance ourselves from those who live in the past. This is vital. Without this we cannot appreciate the Now and if we don't appreciate the Now we aren't living- we are dying.

Holding grudges, giving in to angst or other phenomena will lead to the implosion of a nuke in us bigger than Hiroshima or Nagasaki. We all have our inner Gandalfs. We have tremendous mental capacity and survival instincts. We fall, but we also rise.

So come. Take my hand and my blade

Arise

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment