Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Knocking

The raven 
Jet black with a golden iris
Sits on my door frame 
And knocks again and again
It is almost midnight
The witching hour is at hand 
And I drink coffee and try to compose 
As a wise man once said 
"Quoth the raven, Nevermore!"
My quill, once fluid and sure 
Shakes in my hand 
When I hear the knocking on the window 
I try to write about a girl I knew once 
Who did not survive the winter winds 
In her house by the sea 
Forever lost she is now
But a distant memory
Like a boat sailing God knows where 
Meanwhile the raven is still there 
Knocking on my window 
And perhaps this spectre
Will haunt every moment 
In my life 
Until one day, I am mad 
Quite mad 
Unable to do anything 
But slobber into a pillow
I ask myself 
Is that what I want?
Is that how my life ends?
In servitude to a bird 
That just knocks, never speaks?
O Raven, whereforth hast thou come from?
Why do you torment me so?
I am neither Jekyll nor Hyde 
I am just a man composing 
Why did you choose my window?
Why not someone less mediocre?
You speak in a code I do not comprehend 
Your voice does not reach me 
Speak, Raven, speak
Or in silence let me lie
Whisper not in my ear
"Nevermore!" 
"Nevermore!"

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment