Thursday, June 3, 2021

"Introduce a Little Anarchy": A Therapy Session to Remember

This lockdown had me a little messed up and losing my mother had me in pieces so I took therapy. It helped to have someone impartial have a few words with me once a week. I'm going to talk about the latest session, which took place on Tuesday.

There I was with a self confident smirk explaining that I don't wanna get married and would rather like to travel the world and my therapist dropped a bomb in the next sentence.

She said, "So you have a plan and should anything happen to de-rail that plan, you're screwed. It will bring disappointment, self doubt and negativity with it and this smile you have on your face will be gone in seconds. A person as creative as you should not at any point have a plan. Let this notion go and you'll live a happy life. So what if you're an engineer, who's now helping a friend with a book? So what if you didn't do English honors? You need to set yourself free of shackles you've built around you and the social structure has made you build."

She elucidated further by saying, "I'm not asking you to not have a dream. You should have multiple dreams. I'm saying you should remove restrictions and live life a day at a time, if needs be an hour at a time."

I started thinking about my friend who used to work in ONGC this morning and how one night he had called me and said "Ashesh, ONGC is not for me. I want to try an MBA." Today, that friend is in ISB doing his MBA. I don't think he has a concrete plan either.

And now I've come to realize that life is more fun without a plan, that a little bit of anarchy is required. After all, nobody is getting out of here alive so the only thing we can do is enjoy the ride.

I shall live my life a day at a time. That way, I truly shall be at peace. I'd advise you to do the same. 

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment