Monday, May 16, 2022

You Only Hear the Music When Your Heart Begins to Break

 My Chemical Romance are back and I could not be happier. I was listening to Danger Days and I have to thank Anwesha for introducing me to the album properly. One song from that album that I adore is The Kids from Yesterday. I like it because it reminds me of the times I had and the line that makes me almost weep is the line in the title of this post.

I grew up surrounded by books and music. I grew up sheltered and  protected and as I grew up, my innocence left me. I lost my grandmother. I never knew my grandfather. Life hit hard and my heart kept breaking. But despite that, I found people. I found friends. I found family not related to me. Sometimes I found them in books, hiding in text. Sometimes I found them at the end of a song, because a person I met on the street liked Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits more than me, for different reasons than me and we talked and we talked and we talked.

They say that the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb. I've found that is very true. My mom used to say that sometimes strangers give you more love than family ever can.

So this is for the covenant. This is for those people I think about when life gets a bit too much to take. This is just me knowing that I will suffer heartbreak and that you will pick up all the pieces, put them back together and maybe smash them...until such time that my broken pieces allow me to be whole.

And to the people I am going to meet, to the relationships yet to happen, to the tears yet to be shed and the jokes yet to be cracked...well, let's shed em together, lets crack em together and lets make a film about the ghosts together.

At least that is something to look forward to when your heart breaks, some music to let in, some healing to do and some strength to draw from.

To the people who made music when my heart broke, to the people who never gave up on me, to the people I don't say thank you to enough...I am glad that you make being a kid from yesterday bearable. One day, it will be one of the last rides I take, and I'll hold on tight and not look back! 

The Bilge Master


1 comment:

  1. A very moving ending. Somehow today my thoughts were traversing similar tracks

    ReplyDelete