Thursday, March 29, 2012

Talking ‘bout My Generation

 

I was listening to Englebert Humperdinck a few days ago, when suddenly in comes Pops. “Hey, I love this one! Play again!”, he goes.

Now as you all know (and if you didn’t now you do) I am a music addict. I end up listening to a song almost at any time of the day.

So then after the song finishes (Leaving on a Jet Plane I think it was) Pops goes “What else have you got?”So I calmly hand him my entire collection of CD’s (correction DVD’s…I have WAY too many songs. To try and burn them on CD’s would be overkill.). And then I get a really unexpected reaction form him. “Link up my lappy and give me Bob Dylan, Bryan Adams, Englebert, Santana and U2. Throw in Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Deep Purple while you are at it.” Now Pink Floyd has been a childhood fave of his and so has Dire Straits but I NEVER expected Deep Purple to be on his list. Santana and U2 are even more far cries!

Then in comes Mum and she’s like “Ah! Englebert (the album was still playing). Play again!!” So I thought it prudent to hand over the controls to Pops and gracefully retire. After Englebert, we listened to Pink Floyd, Carpenters and of course the Beatles. We also had a shot at Abba and Dire Straits. But what I didn’t expect was Alice Cooper joining the list. Or Ozzy Osbourne for that matter. And here’s what  I think is the punchline, most of the songs that Pops played that day were my personal faves. Beat that!

My Mum has gotten herself addicted to Castle and Lie to Me, which again was unexpected. I never thought it would be her cup of tea as she’s more into M*A*S*H and Yes Minister, both of which incidentally I like a lot! I think I posted ‘bout this recently.

Now, I have heard people say that there’s a major Generation Gap today. Maybe that’s true. Actually it is coz some of the things that I am into, my parents won’t touch with a ten foot barge pole. But then again, after that day of musical delight, I can’t help but wonder…..What exactly does the term “Generation Gap” mean? I mean the oldies were kids once right?

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment