Monday, July 25, 2016

My Family and Other Recipes

My family has always been a bunch of foodies. My maternal and paternal grandmothers were superb cooks. My paternal grandfather also cooked. My father and I sometimes cook together. My mother also cooks.

It should be clear by now that we- my mother, my father and yours truly-are foodies to the power infinity. Cooking is easier than some people think. You just need to know a few basic steps and after those steps you’re spoilt for choice. Take a dish I made- mutton, marinated with curd, onions, ginger and garlic paste, tomatoes, two scored green chillies and a peg of whiskey.

Yes you read that right- a peg of whiskey, Signature to be exact. I’ve also cooked mutton in wine and using marmalade. So I think we’ve established that I am the crazy cook in the trio.
My father is a versatile cook. He knows his ingredients and how to substitute one for another. My mother is by the book, and though she claims her dishes are total disasters; they actually come out very well.

For me personally, cooking is a relaxing hobby. It’s fun to do, interesting to view the end result and taste the pudding so to speak and it also makes me happy. I try to cook on Sundays because my father is at home on those days and we can knock back a few beers and then head over to the luncheon.

Unfortunately I’ve not been in the kitchen for a while because I am sleeping a lot these days. However tonight my mother is attempting chicken bharta which is a shredded chicken dish flavoured with tandoori masalas and containing eggs. We love this dish and we inevitably order it when we have naan at a returant. Naan is an Indian bread which is long and served with butter.

I always tell my friends to come down sometime so I can cook for them. A few have tried my stuff and lived to tell the tale so I suppose I can safely say my dishes won’t cause distress ( xD )
Anyhow, off to the kitchen I go!

PS- try the mutton with whiskey and let me know how it turns out. You just need to cook it after soaking it in whiskey for about an hour and a half.


The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment