Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Suicide is Painless

"I want to die sir", said Matthew.

Matthew had been with us for ages. I remember him telling me stories when I was young, cleaning the house and doing the dishes and the cooking. Everything Matthew did was perfection itself.

"How do you know about death? How do you know what dying means, really means?", I asked him.

Matthew saw me grow up, go through college and get a job. We relocated to the country and we brought Matthew along with us. He was family after all.

"I do not know how sir. I just know. I also know what hunger is, and that what I experience when I serve you is a sense of duty to you and to this house. I think you love me, but maybe I am mistaken."

I remember what my father said when we first got hold of Matthew. He told us to treat him like a human being, a living breathing human being; even though he did not have blood in his veins but oil and he could not feel things the way humans do.

You see, Matthew was a robot and I am sure you'll agree with me when I point out that the conversation I was having with him was highly unusual and in fact a little scary.

"So let me get this straight. You want me to deactivate you?"

"No sir, that is not dying. I want to die. That is why I tried to slash my wrists, but only oil and wiring came out", Matthew replied

"What I want is to go to heaven. I want  you to kill me sir. Kill me so I cannot be activated again. I have served you faithfully across two generations; but I am getting old. Yes, you can replace faulty parts but I do not want you to."

"And if I grant your  request?", I asked

"I will be indebted to you sir"

"But Matthew, you are not a human being and I am not sure how to kill you. You do not have living parts. You are a machine!"

"Does a machine not have the right to feel sir? Can a machine not have liberty to think? You have given me a virtual brain and I have read. I have read about humans, their feelings, sex and love and all the rest of it. I know of the wars you fought, I know your politics and I know what dying is. I know life spans for different organisms are different and I know I am 83 years, 7 months, 13 days, 11 hours and 22 seconds old.

This seemed to be the ultimatum. My robot, no my friend wished to die and nothing I said would make a difference. I remembered what he said. "Kill me so I cannot be activated again." How could I do that? I would be destroying him! Another thing he said worried me- "Can a machine not have liberty to think?" How could it be possible, unless someone had planted o=something in him when he was manufactured?

So I took him to the factory where we got him from and I stated what he wanted to be done. The engineers were baffled. The brain they gave him seemed to have become more advanced and could actually think for itself. They had no idea how this was possible and Matthew seemed to be the ONLY robot with feelings.

So you see, I seemed to be the owner of a living robot and not a machine that would obey me. What would stop Matthew from doing me harm if I didn't grant his request? On the other hand, he had been with me for so many years. It was difficult to imagine me murdering Matthew. Note I said murdering. I believed him when he said he could think and feel.

Would it not be a crime to destroy something so unique? Then again, was he not a danger, both to himselfand to us? What if he got angry? Anger is a feeling too.

I am scared. What should I do? Help me, my friend

Signed
Albert Wesker

The Bilge Master


No comments:

Post a Comment