Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Last Goodbye (Meetings)

I just came back 
From saying goodbye 
To everything that was us 
And the things that were not 
The house feels dead without you
The artificial flowers in the hall
Seem to have wilted 
I feel old...so old
You will remain as old as the hills
That have been carved out naturally
You leave behind a fragrance of your own
You leave behind a crumpled dress 
From the last time we made love 
You have made my life a bag full of yesterdays
You have shown me the nature of sadness 
Amid the noise pollution of today
I will still live in this house 
I will still make coffee 
Eat a bagel
Walk the dog 
But I can't get used to living 
Without you by my side 
It's a lie when they say
You fall in love
You don't, you don't 
You rise like the sun
But even the sun sets, so it can rise 
But I guess I've flown too high
On the wings of something that can't be quantified
And like Icarus, it's time to fall

The Bilge Master

2 comments: