Monday, January 6, 2014

Let the Music Play

The thing about music is that it's magical. It can help you in more ways than you ever imagined. For me personally, music has been more than just an inanimate object, it has been a part of the blood that flows in my veins. I have a giant music collection (about 150GB) and I cycle songs on my cell phone and listen to them every day. Some songs however are constant. These songs are listed below. 

1) The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel- this song is personal. It was the first song I bothered to memorize. I was three. Don't ask me why such a sad song heads this list, just listen.




2) Romeo and Juliet, Down to the Waterline, Walk of Life and Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits- These four songs are each lovely. Look for the riffs on Down to the Waterline, let Walk of Life bring a huge grin to your face, mind the opening of Sultans of Swing and just sink into Romeo and Juliet.





3) Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton- look up the background of the song. That's all that I am saying.




4) In Absentia (the album) by Porcupine Tree- this was an acquired taste, but totally worth it. Also be sure to give Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere But Not Here and the Metanoia instrumental a listen.





5) Sweet Child o' Mine and November Rain by Guns and Roses- these two songs are both brilliant especially the piano playing in November Rain. But what will sink into you is Slash on the lead guitar.




6) Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day- for a number of reasons. The opening guitar work, the lyrics. The tune of the song.





7) The Raven That Refused to Sing by Steven Wilson- I can use no words to explain the beauty if this song. If you are familiar with the poem "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe, you will get the references in the song immediately. 




8) Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova by Oasis- ironically i hated Oasis as a child. One day I listened to Wonderwall. Then I got addicted. Hypocritical to a slight degree but who cares?


9) Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan- Because of the opening, the song itself and the simple guitar work





10) Carnival of Rust, War, Roses and Cradled in Love by Poets of the Fall- This was difficult. All of their songs are special to me in one way or the other. These 4 top the list. Plus I saw them perform these songs live.




11) Comfortably Numb and Brain Damage by Pink Floyd- the first for it's sheer awesomeness, the second for it's absolute creepiness





12) Warmness on the Soul by Avenged Sevenfold- They are a metal band. You will not believe that when you hear this song. Look for the piano.





13) How to Save a Life by The Fray- The first song I had heard by this band was "Over My Head". Then I heard this and I fell in love with it. I still pray that they get back to using the piano as their primary instrument


14) Fix You and The Scientist by Coldplay- The first for it's guitar outro and the second for the piano. Yes I love the piano. Also the lyrics!




15) The Beatles. Period. No specifics there. ALL THEIR SONGS RULE!


There's a TON of more music in my possession but these songs are never gonna be deleted from my phone. If I start listing everything I have heard, we will be here for years! 

Happy listening folks

The Bilge Master




No comments:

Post a Comment