Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Graveyard Sonata

It wasn't midnight but the ghosts came out to play
One sat on my shoulder and refused to go away
Three of them danced a macabre foxtrot
While some others wolf whistled like wind through the trees
Scared though I was, my sixth sense kicked in
And I communicated with the spirits till it was daybreak
Some told me stories of the East India Company
Others recited ballads composed from their misery
While some gentlemen gave me a lesson in history
I could not see Boz anywhere but I met Hardy
He pressed upon me a copy of his complete works
I left the graveyard with my head buzzing
Yet it was a spiritual experience that nobody is denying
I came back home with the ghost on my shoulder
She likes it here, in her warm corner with a bed
I wonder if I'll ever see ghosts the same way again


The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment