Friday, July 21, 2017

In Loving Memory of Chester Bennington

It was 2007 and I was thirteen years old, with gasoline in my veins and a fuse shorter than a dwarf. I was confused, angry, tired and freaking out.

Then one day, along came a band called Linkin Park. The first song I heard by them was Numb which set the stage for a healthy bromance that lasts even today. My teenage self took refuge behind the lyrics of Linkin Park.I had found a band that was singing about the things I was feeling and sometimes echoing my thoughts.

Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda soon became my closest friends in the music world. Remember this is a teenage me I am talking about- someone who was in the middle of an identity crisis, doing badly at school and often confused. But I was never confused when listening to Chester's voice belting out Shinoda's lyrics.
Take the song Runaway which says "I wanna run away and open up my mind". That was something I literally wanted to do. Linkin Park helped me through some tough times and for that I will always be grateful.

Today I learnt that Chester Bennington had hung himself because he was suffering from depression for a while now. I was heartbroken to hear this. Chester was one of my idols growing up and to hear about that talent being snuffed out so quickly- well let's just say it isn't fair.

I joined the millions on social media who were mourning his passing and the notifications are still coming in on my phone. I just want to take this opportunity to say thank you.

Thank you from a thirteen year old kid who felt alone at times, from a sixteen year old young adult who found certain things confusing and a twenty two year old to whom your music meant the world at one point of time.

Rest in peace Chester and know this- your legacy lives on every time someone puts on Numb; and there will always be someone playing Numb.


The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment