Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Infinities

There is something oddly fascinating
About the night sky
Just as twilight fades into darkness 
And the sky begins to change 
From pale orange to royal blue
Before trying on a shade of black
And adorning it with a smattering of stars 
Like pearls on a beautiful woman
Little dots and points of light 
Tell us the stories of the Cosmos 
Orion the hunter becomes visible
So does the Great Bear 
Lying on a roof 
Looking up at the infinities 
And being reminded 
That we are but a small cog 
In some giant machine 
It can be awe inspiring
Every night when the sun goes down
I walk up to the roof 
And lie down, staring
Some days the stars show me their true faces 
They remind me of how much I have to live for 
Some days, the evening star appears
Guiding my wandering soul back
Home
And some days, I just want 
To lie here on my roof 
Until the sky falls down on me

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment