Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Spiderweb

For a long, long time 
I knew I had stuff to give 
And I gave and I gave and I gave 
Then, exhausted 
I fell asleep
And along came Anansi
Owner of all the stories in the world 
And he whispered in my ear
Wrapping me up, snug and warm 
In a little spiderweb
Amidst which he taught me 
About all the stories in the world 
His to guard 
Mine to treasure 
Waltzing across the world wide web
My path intersected with another 
Who carried Anansi's blessing 
A girl across an ocean
That I cannot cross yet
But someday will
The two of us are friends 
United by stories, despite being divided by geography
Here I am, an Indian blogger
There she is, a Romanian student 
And Anansi has touched us both
With all the stories in the world 
You see, our first loves will always be books
And poetry
And the stories our grandparents told us 
Over cups of coffee 
We will always fall for someone 
Who understands this vital fact about us
And our faith in stories 
Will enable us to love them
But never 
Never as much
As we love stories

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment