Friday, April 24, 2020

Ode to the Ghost of You

We first met in a cafe 
In the pouring rain
With petrichor wafting in 
And misted windows 
You ordered an espresso
And I went with carrot cake 
And hated it 
That's one thing that hasn't changed 
My hatred for carrot cake
Being with you was weird 
And yet fulfilling as well
And then suddenly
As suddenly as it started 
It was gone
They told me a blade did it 
That you'd sliced an artery
And little by little
The beeping on the LCD 
Took you farther and farther away
Away from me
I wonder what I didn't see coming
I wish it was all a dream
But sometimes 
On certain moonlit nights 
I can see a silhouette
Twirling clockwise now
And anticlockwise too
Is it you I wonder 
As I sit by the window
Tell me you loved me
Are you back to haunt me?
Is this what it's like
Dancing with the ghost of you?

The Bilge Master

1 comment: