Monday, December 14, 2020

The Trees Spoke to Me: A Collaboration Post with Kiki Ayang

 Do any of you remember my friend who wants to kill Death himself? Kiki Ayang is back on FLTM with a poem about a recent epiphany. I was so moved by the poem that I added a stanza and she approved of it, calling me a talented goose. Naturally, I called her a gifted hen! 

So this is two twenty something folks doing some writing! Have a read, have some fun. Sharing is caring. 2020 is nearly done! 

The Bilge Master


The Trees spoke to me.

I was wandering past a stretch of road
When the trees spoke to me-
I happened to eavesdrop without realizing.
Embarrassed, I crawled back into my seat.

It repeated for a couple more days-
Stretch over stretch of naked scrawny trees
And I was drawn, mesmerized;
Simply because they stood tall with pride
Despite the cold and rain amongst fallen comrades.

As days passed by,
I decided to pay less heed to them.
I was a melancholy soul
Trying to pass unnoticed.
It made me sad that the trees were happier
When I saw them quarrel, play and laugh.

On my last days passing through,
The other day, I could not contain my composure
They were laughing- making merry!
And it made me smile

But behind the smile A river of tears had flown The current was against me But this the trees seemed to know I thought I glimpsed a dryad Nestling in a branch Her beauty made me realize The day was sunny The road was untraveled And I was a traveler Therefore I set forth Maybe one day someone will pass through this avenue And have a similar epiphany Elephants aren't the only ones with a good memory But humans are fickle And now I must turn back And head into a different jungle Where the trees are concrete And the imagination needs constant nourishing And so I am grateful that the trees spoke to me They assured me they'll remember me After my body turns to ash And my thoughts to mud

No comments:

Post a Comment