Tuesday, December 3, 2019

My Dear Daughter

My dear daughter
I apologize
For I will fail you
As you grow up into a woman
Perhaps I will fail you before
This world we live in
Does not deserve you
I can't let you wear jeans
I can't let you wear saris
I will never breathe easy when you are out
And it's dark
I will fail you
I cannot give you freedom
For it is denied to you
By the opposite gender 
Who see you as a consumable product 
Not a human being 
I will fail you
By bringing you into this world 
By teaching you to live a good life 
One without shackles or stigma
I will dread the day you learn to read 
And get an education
For then you will realize why I have failed you
It's because of men
Men who treat others like objects of lust
Men who believe themselves to be crusaders 
Men who judge women for wearing skirts or tops
Never mind your age 
Your gender is a signed death sentence 
How can I let you come into this world
When this world clearly isn't made for you?
Or for the thousands and millions of daughters out there 
Scared to go out of their homes?
When the news channels show each day
That someone has had their honor looted 
Then been murdered or tortured 
When the judicial system turns savages into celebrities
Tell me, what face will I show before you?
It is better, dear daughter that you not exist
For this world is not meant for you
You deserve so much more 

Written in memory of Priyanka Reddy

2 comments: