Wednesday, December 25, 2019

The Last Gift

I
Bombs were falling
The night you were born
Humanity was tearing itself apart
And yet there you were 
The last thing I would give this world 
It was worth it

II
I woke up that night in the cold
Nobody to keep my bed warm
A few days later I felt dizzy and puked 
So I went to the doctor 
And he told me I would be a mother 
This is news every woman longs to hear
But to me it wasn't very happy news 

III
This poem I'm writing is during one of those rare times 
When I don't have a syringe in my hand 
Or the contents of a bottle in my stomach
I am just smoking
It's a filthy habit, don't try it
I'm too far gone my child
But I want you to live
Grow, and like a tree 
Grow tall, grow well, grow strong 
Be a good human being 
Be what I couldn't be 

IV
The hospital again
They say I'm won't survive if I bring you into this world 
"Neither can live while the other survives", wasn't it?
And so I must go now
And you must live for both of us 
The hospital will arrange for your adoption
You will have a father and a mother 
Not a broken home and a shattered woman

V
With all my love
Santa

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment