Saturday, December 14, 2019

Out of the Dark

Six years
And a few months here and there
To dispell the darkness that I had plunged myself into
Insecure and frightened 
A caged animal, lashing out at loved ones 
In pain
Happiness? What's that?
And yet
In spite of it all
I held on
As the walls closed in around me 
I fought 
For what else did you expect 
From a cornered animal?
Voices in the void 
Telling me I was useless 
People around me, busy with their lives 
While mine had stopped completely
Yes I gave up 
Yes I lost hope and faith
And yes every time that happened 
A hand came for me 
To pull me to my feet
To bandage the bloodstains in my soul
To glue back the broken pieces 
To make a warrior whole
I slipped into darkness again and again
And got up again and again
For I had family 
And friends 
Who didn't give up on me 
And stood behind me 
Aiding me in my battles 
Then someone trained me 
To battle my demons properly
I was given a restructured sword 
One whose slashes caused damage 
And with it in my grasp
I beat the darkness 
And bathed my soul with light
Purifying 
Exorcising
Today I stand before you, reborn
And I thank each and every person who stood with me
Even when I was the bad guy
And did horrible things to them 
Thank you for not giving up on me 
Thank you for saving me 
 And they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger 
I can feel that strength coursing through my body
And with it, I swear to fight darkness
And let in light 

The Bilge Master

2 comments: