Monday, February 24, 2020

Please Don't Call Me Maybe?

My phone used to buzz 
With a text from you
I thought we would last
The thought lasted longer than you
My phone doesn't buzz anymore 
And I'm glad 
You were never my girlfriend
Nor were you my wife 
You said you loved me 
Darling that too was false 
Now you've gone and blocked me 
I'm glad that you did 
For it taught me stuff 
Like how taking people for granted 
Is something you shouldn't do
Today I look around me 
And see a sea of faces 
The loneliness in me tries to beat me 
And sometimes when I'm on the subway
I see your face 
You were a lesson I wish
I hadn't learnt so well
Now that you're gone 
It's easier for me to realize 
You were never there to begin with
And so this is me burying the dead 
That is our non-existent relationship
Which hasn't lasted unlike my real friendships 
So walk out the door 
And spit your pity out like betel juice 
The stain on the sidewalk will fade with time 
And if you think I'm waiting for you
At the end of the subway tunnel 
You're wrong 
Now the next one is my station 
It's time to go home 
Thanks for the memories 
But they've grown as cold 
As snow
While my guitar gently weeps 
With a lullaby I'm composing 
For the ones who do care for me 
I just wish you hadn't taken up my precious time 
But then again, I was the fool not you

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment