Sunday, February 16, 2020

The Other Guy

White walls surrounding us
Your lips taste of rum
Our passion filled night
Has given way to a milky dawn
I kiss you one last time 
You do not respond 
Then I notice the scar around your throat
And the blood soaking my hands 
Unhinged 
That's what the lawyer used in his defense 
The jury didn't care 
16 years old, sentenced 
My passion bleeding out 
Of a hole in my soul
Why me? 
I ask
Why did I kill you?
You were everything to me 
Falling off the edge 
I see your face again
It's in a place 
Where no light will touch it 
And I'm headed the same way
Will history repeat?
Will we love with a passion that moves mountains
Only to crush with a cruelty that one reads of in fairy tales?
They strap me in
The needles are ready
I'm coming my love
Be ready
Put on your best dress 
Those dancing shoes I got you
Take my hand 
Let's dance the macabre
Before long we will be in each other's arms
And before long the other guy in my head 
Will have his hands around the ivory skin 
Of your throat

The Bilge Master

2 comments: