Tuesday, May 12, 2020

If the World Was Ending...

Spotify wants me to go Premium. I tolerate the ads. Tonight however, a song is stuck in my head. This song is so apt given the fact that perhaps the world as we know it has changed.

They say change is the only constant and also that some things never change. They say that people do stupid things for people they love. They say conversation happens over coffee or maybe tea or just hanging one handed on a metro train headed back from work.

Tonight it happened over soda and Bollywood. It got me thinking. What if this was the last one I ever had? Would I have said more? Would I have said less? Would we have covered Country Roads by Denver together in our out of tune voices, desperate to nail the high key?

Lacuna Coil said we should realize that sometimes words are very unnecessary. I disagree. Words are necessary. Sometimes words make more sense than staying silent. They lodge a protest. They remind our enemies that we are alive and kicking. 

Bit by bit, the evening went from musical discussions to the birth of a soundtrack which will remind me of this moment forever. It was just us, with a couple of old songs and soda. Cigarette smoke hung in the air and age faded away as the generation gap melted. Sometime during the evening, one of us started singing. 

Nobody stopped her. And a soundtrack was born. A wheel whirred. A memory got saved.

If the world ended tomorrow, I would be happy knowing this evening happened. I would not change a thing. 

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment