Friday, May 1, 2020

The Lake

My summer holidays had just begun. It was the last summer holiday before the HS exam and college. I'd gone for a walk to Dhakuria lake. After having exerted myself, I purchased a small glass of chai and headed off to sit on  a bench beside the lake. It had rained. I sidestepped a few puddles, careful to not spill any tea on myself and sat down.

The sky was overcast, with smatters of light gray, black and patches of blue peeking through, somewhat defiantly. The mosaic of colour in the sky was reflected on the surface of the lake. I could smell the wet grass and the slightly pungent smell of wet earth. I'd finished my chai. As if on cue, it started to rain again. This time I was drenched. But the rain stopped after a little while and I tried to use my handkerchief to dry my thick hair off.

The sun had started to shine and the lake's surface had turned to liquid gold. I watched, mesmerized as there were ripples forming on the lake surface and I could hear birds call out to each other- a cry seeking an answer..all in the wake of a little rain. The surface of the lake was on fire- little spots of red and violet amidst an epicentre of pure gold. The colours changed with every turn of my head, refracting off my spectacles, adding to their mystery. I wondered if the lake was trying to tell me something. It seemed almost ritualistic- birds in the trees singing, smells of various kinds and a kind of kaleidoscope of colours in front of my eyes.

My reverie was interrupted by a voice. I turned around and I saw a beautiful girl, with an oval face, raven hair and ruby lips. I was thrown off for a second and stammered

"Who are you?"

"You don't recognize me? I live in your locality! I'm three houses down from you.", she replied.

"I'm sorry, I can't seem to place you just now.", I replied.

"Anyway, I was saying that you're all drenched. You'll catch your death."

"I will be okay. Would you like some tea? Let's have a cup."

"Okay, go get some."

That is how it all started my dears. To this day, your mother reminds me of John Denver's Country Roads and to this day, I love having chai on a bench with her at Dhakuria lake. It's been almost 30 years. She drives me mad sometimes. Her sense of direction is appalling and she always misreads the directions and cannot drive to save her life.


But every day, I am taken back to that moment we met. It had just stopped raining and the clouds had parted. The sun was shining and your mother was smiling at me. I could ask for no sweeter memory.

The Bilge Master

No comments:

Post a Comment