Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

All my life I have spent measuring things 
When all I wanted to do was run like the wind 
I trained my mind to accept the formulas in science 
And worked and worked and worked 
Until I could work no more 
When I was younger 
I used to wander 
A pair of trainers on my feet
And the oyster which was the world 
At my disposal
Yet suddenly they told me I was being childish 
And killed the explorer in me 
And I confirmed to their logic
Danced to their music 
Tried fitting in at their parties 
But always, obstinacy overcame me 
And every morning would find me running
Now I have time to spend 
And I spend it reflecting on my life 
All I have wanted to do was run
Hey maybe it's not too late 
So I'll dig up my old trainers from the attic 
Tie the laces in a bow
Do a little warm up
And hit the old roads
Would you like to come with me
As we run into infinity?
Wouldn't it be lovely?

2 comments:

  1. "All I have wanted to do was run
    Hey maybe it's not too late
    So I'll dig up my old trainers from the attic
    Tie the laces in a bow
    Do a little warm up
    And hit the old roads"
    I can feel my own feet humming a little. Hope I can break out of this sleepiness and get moving. Such a lovely, upbeat poem about owning your life again.

    ReplyDelete