Tuesday, November 5, 2019

On Whisper of the Heart -A Studio Ghibli Movie

Have you ever wanted to do something different from others around you? Have you hidden that part of you from your peers and tried to conform? If the answer to both these questions is yes, then you should watch Whisper of the Heart.

Studio Ghibli needs no introduction among people for it is one of the biggest studios in Japan, and has brought out 22 movies till date. Whisper of the Heart is one of them. In it we follow the tale of two children- Shizuku and Seiji.

Shizuku is a talented writer, and an avid reader while Seiji wants to be a violin maker. They both study in the same school and are both equally confused about their futures. It's one thing to have a hobby and quite another to have a passion and Whisper of the Heart brings this out beautifully.

As the movie progresses, Shizuku meets Seiji's grandfather who has a statue of a cat called The Baron. She decides to write a story about the statue. Her story takes her two months to write and in the meantime Seiji goes to Italy, where he is apprentices to a violin maker. Two months later, they both meet again and realize they have some more learning to do before they can do what they seem of doing. On this very mature note, the movie concludes.

Why did this movie appeal to me? To know the answer, let me take you back to my school days. I was in tenth grade when we were asked to assemble a basic Ohm's law circuit. I short circuited the resistor by mistake and blew the lab fuse. Suddenly all the lights went out and so did the fans. Not a single electrical connection was live. It turns out that I had placed one wire in the wrong position. One wire is all it took to cripple an entire lab. Once you see that kind of power, how can you look away?

And so I decided to become an engineer and in 2017 I became one. I am currently working in an electrical firm where I handle sales. I had the support from my teachers and parents and the guts to follow my dream despite depression. It's going to be a while before I am a good engineer but the seed has started to germinate.

And so to all of you out there who are hesitant to follow your dreams and do what your heart tells you, watch Whisper of the Heart. Don't be afraid of being different. Embrace your inner self. Make that dream come true. Dare to disturb the universe.

The Bilge Master 

No comments:

Post a Comment